[DML] Re: auto trans conversion

drive version of the Renault R-30 can be flipped over or something machined
to make it work, I believe the answer is "no". Several years ago, with the
aid of a top transmission shop, I tried to do that. I even acquired a new
original DMC ring and pinion from KAPAC, but the final drive case is just
different. You cannot swap in the correct gears or invert the gear ala old
VW's. So what we did to use the front wheel drive versions (at the time
much less expensive than the DMC version) was to use the new transmission
portion, but re-use the customer's DMC final drive section. This is not a
difficult task for a trans shop, and results in a "new" trans for less than
half the cost of an original DMC. We still have a couple of those available
if anyone is interested.

One of my future projects is to try the Dodge/Eagle transmission conversion,
but it will have to wait for my new shop to get built first.....

Darryl Tinnerstet
McCleary, WA
PH: 360-495-4640

eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/dmcnews