[DML] Re: Top speed of Auto D's, and slowing down again

On Mon, 17 May 1999, Christopher Mack wrote:

> While the advertised top speed of the 5-speed DeLorean is aroung 125
> mph, I can't help but wondering what the top speed of the 5-speed auto

The top speeds are fairly similar - between 120 and 130 mph. The DeLorean
is drag limited (in fact, a 5-speed is just as fast in 4th gear as it is
in 5th) rather than redline limited, which means that the only difference
in top speeds will be due to drivetrain losses in the auto trans sapping
power. The auto in the DMC is fairly good about that, so you should
expect about the same top speed.

However, due to fewer gears in the auto trans, you will take a bit longer
to get there.

Once you do manage to get up over 120 mph (maybe you are in the Silver
State Classic, or feel like spending the night in jail) you've got to slow
down again. An article in the Gold Portfolio mentioned that the DeLorean
brakes are off-the-shelf components. Does anyone know what shelf they
came off of, that is, what car they came from originally, and are the
rotors and calipers from the same car.

eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/dmcnews