[DML] Re: Fuel pressure & RPM Relay

-- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Rod Dillman <rhdillman@xxxx> wrote:

> David, I have always been impressed by the "top of your head" advice
you give to those of us who need assistance and who are trying to gain
a better knowledge of our cars in order to repair them ourselves or
who pass on the information to our service tech. I frequently print
off postings and file them when the in formation is likely to help me
on a future project or repair.

Yes well, if you'll excuse the mild sarcasm I will admit to the value
of printing, saving for reference, or forwarding to your mechanic
information that may well be wrong. If nothing else it will certainly
help to reduce the cost of labor on your service bill :-)

I have read enough of David's posts in the archives to know his advice
is mostly sound but he and others are wrong at times for whatever
reason. I have also noticed in reading the archives incorrect
information from people who seem to be considered more knowledgable
than him. This fellow Elvis is right. While David knows the car I'd
hardly call his "top of the head" defense justified any more more than
his admitting an automatic transmission is hydrostatic a "minor
correction". That said I will be the first to admit he is an asset to
this group.

But with all due respect to him what is the point in trying to assist
others if the information is not accurate? I believe those who offer
advice have a responsibilty to make sure it is correct. I do it if for
no better reason than because I dislike being wrong. I stand by my
comments that both the individual seeking advice and the one offering
it have a responsibility to each other, with the responder shouldering
the burden of digesting what was given him with a grain of salt.

As for what is "supposed" to happen this is why we have service
manuals and wiring diagrams. In David's defense there is little anyone
can do from a distance if something has been altered. It requires a
personal presence and knowledge beyond the ability to follow factory
documentation. In either case I'm puzzled as to why some owners make
no effort to learn beyond asking questions. In this example all the
owner had to do is study the diagram to answer his own question.
Learning how is not difficult and basic auto electrical theory is
something anyone who wants to work on cars should learn. Give a man a
fish and all that. Barring that option anyone who asks for advice or
engages in the kind of  "handholding" that goes on here should be that
much more concerned the information they are receiving is the best it
can be.

For the fellow who has "lost all hope": Ryan is right. Your situation
will change more than you could ever imagine. For example the odds of
you remaining where you live now are likely not great. You'll probably
 have a family, your income will increase and so on. Don't be so
anxious to drown in the great sea of consumer debt, the largest
obstacle to building personal wealth, over something as silly as a
car. Any person your age who tells you they did otherwise allowed
their emotions to overule their intellect. It's your money but the
odds are you'd be making a mistake and one you will likely regret in
the future. Be patient. You have an entire lifetime and your day will
come. You may even find your priorities will continue to change. Just
my two cents.

Greg