[DML] Re: Axel seal replacement tricks

Easy work. . .

Remove axle (worst part of the job).

Punch rollpin out of flange, pull flange from trans. If the trans is
full oil will run out, if it's been leaking and is low, it may not.

Pry seal out with big screwdriver or seal remover. DO NOT remove the
differential carrier adjusting nut as stated in the manual. The seal
will come out just fine with it in place.

Put a little sealant on outside of new seal and gently press in
place. You can get it about 1/2 way in by hand, finish it off with a
small hammer and a large socket. Stop when it is flush with the
holder.

For the absolute best repair, call Grady (I don't know if the others
have this, I never asked) and order a sleeve for the flange. It's a
bit pricey but it will gaurantee that you never need to do this
again. You'll notice that the flange has a bit of a groove or pitted
area where it rides on the seal. This will chew up the new seal in
short order. The sleeve goes over that area and gives the seal a nice
shiny new surface to ride on, AND microscopically increases the
diameter of the flange making the seal a tiny bit tighter. The only
tricky part is installing the seal, you get one try to get it on
straight or it will kink and be ruined. Use a bit of sealant under it
too.  Alternative is to replace the whole flange, but then you are
still dealing with plain old steel.

I'd recommend doing both of them while you have it in the air.

Dave S