Re: [DML] DMC houston video question

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Videobob Moseley" <videobob@xxxx> wrote:

> Actually, that is not true.
> If DMCH takes a DeLorean frame and underbody using an existing VIN
and all
> they
> do is change things like body panels, interior, engine modifications
etc..
> then they are not
> actually manufacturing cars, and are not subject to any of the laws
doing
> so.
> No crash testing, emissions testing, nothing like that.
> It's actually pretty smart in that respect, how ever I don't know of
anyone
> who
> would buy one of these rebodied cars....maybe a few rap stars and drug
> dealers maybe.
> Jay Leno will want one I am sure.
> - VB

No, you're not making anything new. You're just installing a body kit,
and a custom interior. And that doesn't make sense for DMCH, if
they've already got a huge investment in parts that they need to sell,
and get rid of. But, there isn't any reason to really worry about
these tests at all.

Like it's been said before, a car maker in the US can manufacture a
car in low enough quantities, that they will be exempt from testing on
modern safety requirements. Responsability for making vehicles
compliant falls upon the manufacturer. The DOT will not prevent any
car from hitting the road for failing any tests, because there are
none that limited production vehicles have complete, before hitting
the road.

EPA is different, because after all, you've got to be within certain
limits for emissions. And if the fuel consumption is too high, the car
will get slapped with a $1,000 gas guzzler tax. Otherwise, no worries
there,

I've no idea where you get the idea that only rap stars, and Jay Leno
will want these cars. I can't posibly fathom where in the world the
information that demographic is based upon came from. And BTW, Jay
Leno may be a car guy that lends a hand in fighting asinine emissions
laws, but he certainly doesn't sound like a DeLorean fan, based upon
past articles I've read in the past.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/automotive/sub_coll_leno/2001/2/cars_find_me/

-Robert
vin 6585 "X"