[DML] Re: Questions on automatic transmissions

[DML] Re: Questions on automatic transmissions

If your transmission slips it means the clutch packs are not holding
tightly enough. This is caused by either they are worn out or the line
pressure is too low. If continued they will loose all the friction
materiel and never hold no matter how much line pressure you have. The
fluid doesn't "burn". What happens is the friction materiel comes off
the friction plates inside the clutch packs (from slipping and wear)
and contaminates the fluid. When the fluid gets contaminated with a
heavy burden of particles it wears out the seals and bearings. When
the clutches slip it generates a lot of heat. The temperature of the
fluid goes up and hardens the seals so they start to leak. By the time
you see all the seals leaking the damage is done. Replacing and
flushing the fluid won't buy you much time. It may even leak faster
being thinner but it won't hurt the internals, they are already shot.
The bottom line is NEVER to drive on a slipping automatic
transmission. If it slips it must be corrected quickly or you WILL do
an overhaul of the internals. I would drop the pan, clean it out,
clean or replace the filter and fluid. If you catch it early enough
you *may* be OK. Check the line pressure. It is a good general
indicator of the internal health of the transmission.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757