RE: [DML] Re: Questions on automatic transmissions

RE: [DML] Re: Questions on automatic transmissions

Well, "local boy" John Hervey told me that if I were to replace the fluid
now after it is "burned"
that the new fluid would melt off all the plates inside my trasmission and
it would be dead.
He told me not to change the fluid and to drive it until it breaks and then
rebuild it or replace it because the damage is already done.

I told this to Stephen Wynne and he laughed, and said John was wrong, and to
just do a
filter and fluid change on it right away.

Then again, I have had other mechanics tell me that once the fluid is burned
not to change it.... I think I remember someone telling me to put OATMEAL in
the transmission or something crazy like that!

I don't know who to believe or who to trust, some people have motives to
sell me
a transmission, others are just trying to sound knowledgeable.
So far no one is willing to make any gaurantees.

The way I look at it is, right now it does run and drive.
Once it warms up it is fine...I drove it to PF this way.
If I take the chance and do the simple fluid change, it might help, it might
do nothing
or god forbid it will wipe out the transmission for good and the car will be
down until
I can afford to fix it.

I don't know what to do, but I don't think I should experiment with it until
I have
an extra $5000 in the bank.

- VB