[DML] Re: Tire Replacement / SIZES

Although you may have taken the tire rolling diameter into account to
mantain an accurate speedometer there are other things which when
changed may have serious effects. By changing the footprint of the
rear tires you have changed the braking proportions. This can cause
the rear wheels to lock-up more or less easily which can cause a loss
of control. The point here is there are MANY factors that a
manufacturer must take into account. Tire selection is a compromise
among all these things which takes engineers and test drivers a lot of
time to determine. Few (if any) private owners are capable of this
kind of research. You have to trust the origional engineers that they
made the best choice possible for the car as it was designed and
intended to be driven. Economics was also a factor so sometimes it is
possible to improve on what they did in the 80's. Just be aware of the
potential problems.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757