[DML] Re: Tire Replacement

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Dave Swingle" <swingle@xxxx> wrote:
<SNIP>
> I've driven a couple of DeLoreans on no-name tires (Cooper, , low-
> line Goodyear etc) and honestly think they ride nicer in everyday
> driving than my Yokos. But you will give up some handling
capability
> (more understeer).
>
> Dave S

I have a set of Cooper Cobra GT's on my D. And I can tell you that
they have improved the handling of my car, in comparison to the Yoko
AVS Intermediates. My braking distance is not only shorter, but is
more controlled with no side to side motion. And they handle VERY
well in both rain, mud, and the bit of snow I've encountered on the
street, & in the mountains. All this with a shot, 20 year-old
suspension.

As you've seen with other posts, the streets of Vegas are very oily,
becaise our lack of rainfall here never gets the chance to wash them
off. In the Yokos, I've spun my D around corners, from a dead-stop,
while riding the clutch. I've never had this problem since with the
Coopers. Not once. But I've got more reasons to endorse the Coopers.

When you choose a tire set, you need to go by more than just price,
and name-brand recognition. Start reading those sidewalls, and find
out just what they mean.

http://coopertires.com/us/en/information/info-sidewall.asp

The Coopers have a "B" temperature wear rating. This means that while
they don't disperse heat as quickly as an "A" rated tire, they do
disperse heat twice as fast as what they govt. rating reccomends.
This also means that they retain more heat in the winter, and will
remain more sticky than those Michelin Pilot XGT H4s. Being the
highest rating, isn't always the best thing for your application.

Traction is rated at the same between these tires, but the treadwear
tests show that the Coopers will last longer @ 440, than the
Michelins @ only 400. Plus the tread depth is deeper on the Coopers,
as is the load rating.

Overall, the only advantage the Michelins have over the Coopers, are
speed rating: 118 mph on the Coopers, 130mph Michelin. But I
seriously doubt that anyone is going to get up that fast, so the
difference of 12mph really won't matter. But having exceeded that
speed on my own tires, I can tell you that they held up fine with no
chunking, or cracking. I've also hit curbs, rubbed against them, and
routinely corner hard on a daily basis. And the sidewalls have held
up just fine, with no damage. Warranties are varied between the two,
but even overall. The life of the tires are either stated at 50K
miles for Coopers, or 6 years for Michelins.

Cooper Cobra G/Ts seem to have a more solid following from what I've
personally seen, and from reviews online. The Michelins are all over
the place though. I also prefer the Cooper treads, over the Michelin
ones. Coopers continue deep sipes out to the sidewalls for hard
cornering. Plus, the grooves are all in an even direction, so that
the water can flow out quicker, as it gets push out from the center
tread. Plus, they're half the cost. I picked mine up at a little "mom
& pop" shop. $330 out the door. And that included tax, mounting, and
disposal. It took 3 days for them to arrive, and there were no
additional shipping fees.

-Robert
vin 6585 "X"

p.s. Here are the links for those who'd like a side by side
comparison.

http://coopertires.com/us/en/ProductDetails.asp?
ProdType=Passenger&id=11&title=Passenger+Tires

http://www.michelinman.com/assets/pdfs/doc_pilotxgth4.pdf