[DML] Re: locking up Michelins (was: DeLo's In Year 'Round Use)

[DML] Re: locking up Michelins (was: DeLo's In Year 'Round Use)

The harder the pad the more it will wear and groove the rotors. Too
aggressive a pad will also make more heat which will cause fade. The
origional engineers had to balance all this along with stopping
distances, economics, availability, and longevity. It is ALWAYS
better to go with the OEM recomended product. Anything else and you
are now the test pilot. On the subject of the E brake first make sure
the cables actually move. Disconnect them at the e brake on each wheel
and see if they move when you pull the handle. If they do then you
might have to adjust the large screw on each wheel. The e brakes are
supposed to be self-adjusting Ha Ha!!! They don't. Tighten the large
screw and back off 3/4 turn. The rotor should turn without too much
drag and when you pull on the handle it should grab tight. I would not
want to have to try stopping from 65 MPH with it but it should do
something. Make sure the pads on the e brake are not worn out, you
will never hold if the metal is coming through. Cotter pin the large
screw after you finish adjusting it. Lube everything up good and it
should at least hold the car from rolling on level ground! You may
have to pull the 2 bolts that act like pins that the e brake pads
pivot on to lubricate them and make sure everything is moving. If the
cables won't move when you pull the handle you have to either get them
to move or replace them. You could install an adjustable proportioning
valve but you really need to know what you are doing with that. And
the thing will need to be adjusted depending on the road, the weather,
the car loading, temperature, etc. As for the movies they could have
addded a valve so they could lock up the front wheels without engaging
the back brakes. This is how on race cars you spin the rear tires to
warm them up before the race. You lock the front wheels and then step
on the gas. I hope you don't try to learn how to drive from watching
the movies!
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Videobob Moseley" <videobob@xxxx> wrote:

> well, I don't know if it is an endorsement or not, but I got all of my
> calipers and pads from Hervey.
> Although the mechanic who helped me put them on (who owns a brake
shop) told
> me that these were about the cheapest pads you could use, although
Hervey