[DML] Re: locking up Michelins (was: DeLo's In Year 'Round Use)

[DML] Re: locking up Michelins (was: DeLo's In Year 'Round Use)

Understanding the physics of brakes is complex enough but to address
proper braking with cost will absolutely get you into trouble. Also,
for proper function, ALL the mechanicals have to be in good order.

The biggest mistake you can make in my opinion is to move away from
the original braking specs. Original brakes worked very well with
good balance. Ok, the black dust is a pain. But, moving away from
the original FF pad factor will screw the balance up big time. Drop
in some EE pads (think "harder" pad - the friction properties are
higher) in front and leave the FF pads in the rear and you can lock
up the rears first. Then, in the water, you will find yourself
looking at the guy about to "rear-end" you.

Using EE pads all around will usually result in increased pedal
pressure and modulation screwed up. FF pads are often the less
expensive but that was OEM. OEM pads usually go in about 15,000
miles if I remember correctly - or less. I use some metallic FF pads
that get about 20,000 miles and dust a lot less than the OEM.

Harold McElraft - 3354

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Videobob Moseley" <videobob@xxxx>
wrote:

> well, I don't know if it is an endorsement or not, but I got all
of my
> calipers and pads from Hervey.
> Although the mechanic who helped me put them on (who owns a brake
shop) told
> me that these were about the cheapest pads you could use, although
Hervey
> told me
> they were the "best available".
> I think that there needs to be an adjustment or some sort of an
equalizer to
> give the
> rear wheels a little bit more grip than the front for stopping.
> This would help prevent the front tires from locking up.
> If there is a way to make the rear 60 and the front 40 then that
would make
> a difference.
>
> Also, no matter what I do I can't get the damned emergency brake
to have any
> grip good enough to stop the car from rolling.
> I was given a failed inspection because they said the E-brake
doesn't work.

> Any suggestions?
>
> >From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty@xxxx>
> >To: dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> >Subject: [DML] Re: locking up Michelins (was: DeLo's In
Year 'Round Use)
> >Date: Sat, 04 Dec 2004 18:18:39 -0000
> >

> >The "best" way is to either try driving other Deloreans or have
> >someone else try yours and see if there is a difference. There are
> >always slight differences, for instance the pads you use matter.
You