[DML] Re: DeLo's In Year 'Round Use

Other than the occasional incorrect BTTF reference, such as no
NCT's used on Deloreans in any of the three BTTF movies, there
is another more important reason why VB seems to rub people the
wrong way and that's a lack of behind wheel time in a Delorean.

I have owned one or more Deloreans since 1985 and have logged
tens of thousands of miles driving several different Deloreans,
in all kinds of weather conditions, but I do not feel the need
comment "this is the way all Deloreans must be" just because it
happened in one car, under one set of circumstances.  It's these
type of incorrect comments that paint a bad picture of Deloreans.

VB is still a new owner with less than a year of behind the wheel
time in a Delorean (especially since it was down for repairs),
yet the casual or new member to the DML may think he has years of
experience by the way he states his opinions.  I remember some of
VB's first posts, when he was comparing his Taurus to his Delorean
when discussing braking (he still posts about the Taurus).

My point here is not to bash VB's incorrect assumptions, but rather
to recommend looking at the big picture and consider other things
that may be the root cause of the poor braking conditions of his
Delorean.  Sometimes you have to look at a problem a little deeper.
Some of you have already mentioned other possible contributing
factors and it may be a number of these things all together.

Type of tires, age, condition and air pressures.  Condition of the
brake master.  Type and condition of the brake lines (rubber or SS)
Type and condition of brake fluid.  Condition of the brake pads
(even if new, one or more pads can easily get glazed).  Type and
condition of rotors and the operating condition of the calipers.
Alignment also plays a big part in stable braking conditions.

Other items that are not usually thought about with braking on
other types of cars (like the Taurus) is the condition of the
trailing arm bolts (bent, loose, tight but shims missing, etc.)
and the condition of ball joints and suspension bushings.

Another item often overlooked by possibly half of all Delorean
owners (because this only applies to Deloreans with automatics)
is the effects of heavy braking, wet or dry, when combined with
the downshifting of the automatic transmission.  The automatic
Deloreans do not downshift like a Taurus and this could result
in an unnerving effect during heavy braking or a panic stop.

My advice to VB would be to look beyond what appears to be the
obvious and seek out the advice of more experienced Delorean
drivers.  Go out and drive your Delorean when the weather is bad
but AWAY from others and adjust you braking style with the car.
Check all the components listed above on a regular basis and
get more behind the wheel miles in to gain more D experience.

Later,
Rich W.

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Videobob Moseley" <videobob@xxxx>