[DML] Re: DeLo's In Year 'Round Use

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Videobob Moseley" <videobob@xxxx> wrote:

> Put in a copy of BTTF 1, just after Marty goes back in time and leaves
> Peabody's farm
> he is driving down an old country road and then slamms the brakes.
> The cars slides on the front wheels and then jerks to the left hard.
>
> There is your DeLorean braking system.
> Of course, those were a set of Goodyear NCT's but the also on bone dry
> asphalt.
<SNIP>

And of course, that is a movie, which does things like that for
effect. Get a good set of tires that are proven on wet pavement. Good
tires will flush the water out from under them. Next, you just need to
learn not to panic. There have been a couple of times where I've lost
traction in the rain. Just let off the brakes, let the tires re-grip
the road, and then either resume braking as hard as you can, before
you lose grip of the road. Or steer out of the way into a safe lane,
or even the dirt.

Other than that, a new set of shock absorbers is going to greatly help
you maintain control. When you hydroplane, it works like this: You
tires lock up, and they lose grip of the road. This in turn causes
them to 'hop', and they'll bouce off the road, and lose contact all
together with it. When they come back down, they;ll hit water, and
will then slide across the surface of it. With a good set of shocks,
you can reduce, if not eliminate "wheel hop". This can not only
greatly reduce your chance of hydroplaning, but will also decrease
braking distance on both wet and dry pavement.

Not only would new shocks enable you to keep your tires in better
contact with the road, but you'll also be keeping more surface area of
the tire against the pavement. As tires have less weight pressing them
down, they will become rounder, due to their internal air pressure,
and will loose contact area, even if they never leave the road fully.
Even if you don't have any "wheel hop" to speak of right now, you can
increase the "footprint" of the tires durring braking, to maintain a
larger amount of friction, and thus decrease braking distance.

It's really funny. Right now in the thread about air filters, everyone
is in agreement that you can't simply replace one part, and expect a
whole bunch of improvement, without replacing other components that
work in tandem on a particular system. This applies to not only engine
performance, but every other system on the car. Even allot of
magazines who tested the DeLorean when it first debuted, were in
agreement that the brakes were excellent on the car. So ask yourself,
what has changed since then, and what needs replacement?

-Robert
vin 6585 "X"