RE: [DML] ATTN: Video Bob -- 280 Z vs DeLo

RE: [DML] ATTN: Video Bob -- 280 Z vs DeLo

You guys just don't get it...
What is all this fruit talk?
Apples? Oranges? Bananas?
Who cars?
What I am talking about is any of the magazine tests of the DeLorean as
compared to
the other cars of that year.
Have you ever read any of these?
We are talking about a car that costs twice as much as a Corvette as almost
as expensive as a Prosche and some Ferrari's of the time, and it can not
compete
with any of them in performance.

If the car was built like a Jag or a Rolls, and sold as a luxury sedan
(both of which would still beat it) then maybe when compared to a
Caddilac or a Lincoln it might be considered a luxery coupe, which I guess
is
what it really is, it just LOOKS like a sports car therefore it is put into
that catagory.
Just because it looks like a Lotus doesn't mean it drives like one.

Of all the things Lotus did, it would have been nice if they had also put in
that
inline 4 turbo charged mid-engine, this would be a whole different car.
Actually, it would be an Esprit with gullwings!

Here are some quotes from some of my reference materials.

Car & Driver, December 1981
According to thier tests, the DeLorean scored the LOWEST in most all tests
performed.
Tests included the Corvette, 280Z, Ferrari 308GTSi, Porshe 911SC.
They tested powertrain, handling, ride, comfort, convenience, sex appeal and
fun.
The places the DeLorean did well was in comfort and sex appeal.

In all speed tests from 0-60, and 0-100 the Dellorean was the slowest in all
tests.
It also had the lowest top speed of all the cars, and the worst braking
ability
however it's handling and manuverabilty did pretty good over all.
The Delorean weighed about as much as all the other cars except for the
'Vette at 3300 lbs.

The point of this conversation was not to bash the DeLorean, and not to
prove that
people only like for the BTTF films, the point was that the reason this car
has not been,
and never will be reproduced is because it is not a respected car when it
comes to the world
of racing and performance.
Unlike the Shelby Cobra, the GT40, the GTO, Firebird, Mustang or any of the
Italian cars
the Delorean's only lore is that it is Stainless Steel and has Gullwing
doors.
The Delorean is most famous for it's legacy than it's track record.
People who know about the car only know about it because of all the Press
John Z.
got in leaving GM, starting his own car company, loosing the company in only
a year
and being busted for Cocaine, and then there is the BTTF movies.
The car did not leave a legacy of performance records to make it's name.
Time after time the media has shown the car to be a "lemon".
In the BTTF movies the car was depicted as sluggish and would not start for
Marty
when he needed it.
In Monster Garage it was bashed the whole show and ultimately crushed.

The public and media opinion is that the car is a novelty and the owners are
"dorks".
(as quoted from the Discovery Channel show, "Monster Garage")

Personally, I feel that John Z. rushed things and cut way to many corners
and
put the wrong engine in the car.
it is a sad shame that this car wasn't built by GM under John's watch.
We would have a whole different car if that was the case.

All we can do is educate the public one person at a time.
Never forget that most of the people you meet daily are seeing the car for
the first
time and will most likely never see another one again.
It is our responsibilty to answer questions and educate the public about the
car
and too keep them in tip top shape.
If someone sees your car and the seats are all cracked up, the dash is
cracked
and the carpet is dirty then the tase left in their mouths will be bitter
and they will forever
confirm with others when the subject is brought up that the car is "junk".
We need to keep them looking and running like new.
My worst fear is to break down in public and be seen pushing it down the
road!

Anyhoo,
if anyone wants to read some of these articles you can email me and I will
send them to you.
Most of them are on Tamir's website.
I may add some of them to my website soon.
- Videobob