[DML] ATTN: Video Bob -- 280 Z vs DeLo

Datsun 280 Z produced 145 ft lbs max torque, rev'ing to 140 max HP,
from a normally aspirated cast iron inline 6 (carbureted until 1976).
PRV is every bit as competitive, even in F Series trim. 0-60 times are
virtually identical @ 10 seconds. This was the nature of DMC's
competition at the time engine choice was made (Toyota Supra and
Mustang numbers are similar). Remember: JZD's original intention was
NOT to compete with Porsche and Ferrari.

Perhaps you're thinking of the 1979 turbocharged 280 ZX? Hardly an
apples to apples comparison. Perhaps someone can provide Legend
specifications for a true comparison.

Trans Am burned a 4 barrel 350 -- certainly not an apples to apples
comparison. Is much larger too -- basically a muscle car versus a
sports car.

PRV is a respected engine in Europe. Renault used it in the Alpine
with great results (160 HP as I recall). Volvo bumped compression up
to 10.5:1 in the redesigned B280, eeking out another 10 HP (imported
by Chrysler for its Eagle). If emissions testing is not an issue,
there is plenty you can do to your DeLorean block to add a little more
pep.

Note that some people contend consumer PRV's are not really suitable
for forced induction, however, so you may be limited there.

Bill Robertson

>--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Videobob Moseley" <videobob@xxxx> wrote:
>
> Yes and no,
> let's compare a 1981 Pontiac Trans-Am with a modern car...
> let's say my same 1998 Ford Taurus Station Wagon (the same one that is
> faster
> than my DeLorean).
> I can bet you that if you took that TA, a DeLorean and my Ford the
TA would