Re: [DML] Video Bob

"Delorean is a way of life"?
I think I can break this statement of yours down for you.

I am a geek, and I admit that freely.
I like gadgets, high tech stuff, sci-fi stuff, and believing in the
possibility that really
anything can be done if you try hard enough.
It is these beliefs that attracted me to the DeLorean.

However, I equate driving this car everyday to dressing up like Darth Vader
and walking
around the mall telling people, "May the force be with you!"
..because that is what you are doing.
You are driving a car that says nothing more that "look at me! Look at me!"
If not for 3 blockbuster films made in the 80's, people would just look at
the car
and say "wow, look at that silver car with the funny doors!" or most likely
would say,
"Hey, is that an old Lamborghini?"
No one under 40 years old would have a clue what this car was.

Now that being said, if you take a Delorean to a car show and set it up on
display
and put out one of the little plaques that show it's specs you will hear
people come up
and say this....(every time) "Look, it's that car from Back To The Future!",
then one of the
older people will say, "Hey, where's the cocaine?"
Then, someone who owns a lot of muscle cars will add, "What a shame this
car, it was
a total failure and such a waste, the engine is too small".

This is what EVERYONE says, (everyone who is not blinded by it's allure that
is.)
Basically every single review that has ever been on the car said the same
thing.
Are they all biased?

Now to get to the POINT.
The POINT was that you could not remanufacture this car and sell it because
there is no
market for it. DMCH barely stays in business selling the parts they have.
People view this car as a novelty and not as a real car, this stigma would
prevent any real sales.
The only thing that might happen is that someone builds a super car that
really performs and
sticks the DMC name on it.

I know it seems like I bashing my own car, but I drive this car every day.
I take it to every event I can and I also listen to what people have to say.
I take it shopping and I take it downtown to the strip bars and park it
right on the
street, then I stand back and watch and listen to what people say about it.
You should do the same and you will learn what the public opinion of it is.
Sure, everyone thinks it is "cool" but everyone also has a skewed opinion
about the car.

SO, if these people saw a guy dressed like Darth Vader walking through the
mall they would
come and say, "wow, what a cool costume!" but when Darth leaves they will
say to each other,
"Geez, what a dork, is he trying to get attention or what?"

So when you say "DeLorean is a way of life", this is what you mean.
It gives you attention that you were not getting before, it makes you feel
special because
you drive your attention getting car around and everyone knows who you are
because
it is such a novelty..... yeah I know, I do the same thing.

Not only do I have a DeLorean Time Machine, I have a complete Knight Rider
car too!
I am absolutely an attention whore but at least I admit it.
The people who are offended are the one's who are in a river in Africa.

All that said, no hard feelings and I hope you were not offended,
I am just giving you my view of things, you can make your own.

....your friend in time,
- Videobob

PS- If you want to follow my work turning my Delorean into a BTTF replica,
Check it out at http://www.bttfstuff.com

>From: beatlesra1@xxxxxxx
>To: dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>Subject: Re: [DML] Video Bob
>Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2004 11:45:51 EST
>

>Are you serious? If it wasn't for the BTTF movies no one would know about
>DeLorean's and my car would be worth less and I couldn't give it away?
>Really...
>
>The first time ever saw a DeLorean was in 1981, it was coming from the
>opposite direction and as it approached I kept asking my buddy, What the
>hell was
>that? A DeLorean was his reply. I was 19yrs old and from that day on I
>wanted a
>DeLorean, it took be 20yrs but I now have one. As for the BTTF movies being
>responsible for the continued popularity of the car, I had never seen a
>BTTF
>movie until the 90's and quite frankly never like them, as a matter of fact
>most
>of the people I run into at car shows haven't seen them either their kids
>have. You forget John DeLorean was a highly successful Engineer and when he
>announced he would produce his own car, the automotive world buzzed with
>excitement.

[moderator snip]