Re: [DML] Video Bob

1981 was quite possibly the best time for the car to come out. The
only real problem that they encountered was the currency exchange
rate. And even in such a slow down of automotive sales, the DeLorean
not only did well, but it out sold other competetive cars.

BTTF has done a bit to help get the DeLorean recognized somewhat, but
only on the street. But in all honestly, that's all over now. The
movies will be 20 years old next summer. And the good majority of
people out there have never seen the film. And of those who have, I've
never met a single person who said that after seeing the movie, they
wanted to own the car. And by that same token, I've never met an owner
who has purchased a DeLorean, simply because of BTTF, outside of the
minute handful here on the list. So either way, I seriously doubt that
BTTF has had much of an impact on both DeLorean purchases, or the
image of the car, either negative, or positive.

Along those lines, you've got to take something into serious
consideration. Bricklin is a little know car, as are many other
limited production ones, because of their obscurity in dealing with
their lienage. DeLorean is diffferent. When it comes to muscle car
heritage, John Z. DeLorean is requried reading for anyone. And that of
course segways into his later venture, DMC. So no, we do not own some
car that would have been damned to enternal obscurity, had it not have
been for a movie that was released almost 20 years ago.

If the DeLorean were to be re-released, the name is the best thing
going for it. People like the idea of an underdog, and many folks that
I have encountered still regret never buying one. Even after the
factory went under, and knowing that some folks had issues to work
out. The demand is there, but with our current financial climate, the
money isn't, just yet.

Fast-forwarding to now, the DeLorean isn't quite ready for re-release
into mass production. However, limited production is infact an option,
but it needs some time and money invested into it. Specificly, we need
to build up a new prowess, and build that into our new lineage. Facts
are facts, DeLorean just isn't a drag car. It is however an excellent
rally car. Yes, I know that you are not satisfied with your
performance, Bob. And the truth is that you are not alone, and are not
voicing anything new. So with that out of the way, let's look towards
the future.

If the DeLorean is to make any kind of a comeback, it needs to not
only become visable in a big way, but it needs to overcome any
negative comments that anyone in the press could possibly make about
it. And it can do that by way of becoming race proven. Choose some
good circle tracks, and work up to a major race that gets some good
press time. Find the weakest team, and set out to beat them. That get
the car noticed, and would have the press focusing more on the positive.

To acompany this, the car itself needs only minor refreshing, when it
comes to engineering. New front clips for even further improved
aerodynamics, some polishing on the suspension, etc. And of course a
major revision for the drivetrain. And that isn't that hard at all.
Even at SEMA, I saw a perfect replacement for the UN-1 that was the
same size, had the same flanges, and was ratcheting. Slap that up to a
small V8 with some turbo chargers, with EFI, and you're all set. But
the car MUST retain it's rear engine configuration. It keeps it
compact, which means lightwieght, and means larger passenger
compartment. Whatever concerned there are about too much rear weight
bias are easily overcome with a set of good tires, and a rear sway
bar. Add to that a tubular chassis, and maybe even a carbon-fibre
underbody, and you've got a car which is far cheaper, easier, and
quicker to manufacture than the unibody vehicles that most teams now
compete with.

With the low production numbers that Porsche, Lotus, and others crank
out, yet maintain both race, and sales presence, DeLorean could do it
with great ease, by comparison. As for Saleen, um, yeah. That guy
needs to stick with tuning cars, rather than building them. Because
the S7 is proof that he doesn't know the first thing about
coachbuilding, nor styling. In fact, I'd set my sights on someone like
him, as a target to beat on the track.

But hey, it's out of my hands. Unless of course something like this
were to actually happen, and they have a job opening or two... :)

-Robert
vin 6585 "X"