Re: [DML] New Interior Design

In my opinion, the "DeLoreans" magazine article describing the
development of the new interior is the most interesting article I have
seen in any DeLorean-related publication in a long time (DeLorean
World's 1996 series on the rise and fall of JZD comes to mind).  I
recommend this article about the show car's interior to everyone.  The
photographs of the structure they built beneath the new skin depict what
a monumental project this was.  Having seen the new interior in Pigeon
Forge I had little appreciation of the work that went into it.

Aesthetically I love the new interior.  It bears a striking resemblance
to various concept cars at last year's Detroit Auto Show.  In fact I
believe this show car could hold its own against any of those concept
cars in terms of twenty-first century styling.  I admit that my eye
finds the relocated inner door handle a bit jarring, but it does correct
a significant ergonomic problem.  The first time a passenger gets into
my stock DeLorean I must invariably give them instructions on how to get
out.  The original door handle is not where a typical American passenger
expects to find it.

This brings me to a deficiency in the DeLoreans article.  The text tells
the story and the pictures show the appearance, but neither gives the
reader a full appreciation of the functional improvements they have
made.  Perhaps this is because the improvements are all theoretical; I
do not believe anyone has lived with the new interior long enough to
judge how they did with improving ventilation, acoustics, ergonomics,
and their other goals.  Personally I'd like to see this succeed, and
hope that someday an independent reviewer can describe what it's like to
live with this car (a review in Road and Track or Car and Driver would
be awesome.)

Those of us who go to Ken's DeLorean Car Shows have seen custom DeLorean
interiors before.  The projects of Curtis Bryant, Ron & Cheryl Wester,
Bob Brandys, and Rich Weissensel range from subtle to outlandish.  But
this new interior is the first I have seen which seriously attempted to
give the DeLorean a practical twenty-first century cockpit makeover.

- Mike Substelny
VIN 1280, 10 years