[DML] Re: Valve adjustment? (In response to DMC Joe and David T)

[DML] Re: Valve adjustment? (In response to DMC Joe and David T)

Both responses I have received in asking how to adjust the valves
have been of the tone "Find someone who knows how to do it."  If
this would have been the type of advice I'd followed on my car since
I purchased it about a year ago, I unnecessarily would have easily
spent THOUSANDS of dollars on it in labor alone.

The reason I post here asking for advice, is because ***I*** want to
do the procedure.  So many times on this list, individuals are given
advice that they should find someone else who knows how to do
something.  Find someone to change your clutch, find someone to
adjust your torsion bars, and now find someone who knows how to
adjust valves.  It's ridiculous, and yes, I've done all of the said
procedures above myself (except adjusting the valves), correctly,
with no one helping me except the occasional friend (who is also not
a mechanic).  Auto mechanics is NOT rocket science, and providing
you have the tools and literature, ANYONE CAN DO IT.  The biggest
joke being the torsion bar adjustment.  After doing it with my
friend and taking about 10 minutes total, I really don't know why
anyone makes such a fuss about it.  The only reason I can think of,
is that there's some kind of conspiracy to keep garages in
business.

Now, my car has 30,000 miles on it, I currently have the timing gear
cover, and both valve covers removed to powdercoat them (MYSELF),
and I'm going to adjust the valves now that it's convenient.  Yes,
***I'm*** going to adjust them.  Now, if anyone can offer some
reasonable advice that doesn't follow the path of "find someone else
to do it," I'm all ears.

After a bit of research care of Google, I've already purchased my
feeler gauge, and I've rotated the engine to 0 degrees TDC for
cylinder #1 on the firing stroke.  I'm about to check the tolerances
on the workshop manual's indicated valves before I rotate the engine
360 degrees and check the other indicated valves.  Why on earth
would I pay someone $50/hour to do such a simple thing?  The only
question that remains in my mind is how easily I should be able to
slide the feeler gauge in between the valve lobe and the rocker
arm.

Matt "D.I.Y." Spittle