[DML] Re: "Brightening up" the stainless?

[DML] Re: "Brightening up" the stainless?

To the DML:

If you need more info on the care and cleaning of stainless steel go
to www.ssina.com
Specialty Steel Industry of North America
On left side click on, INFORMATION HANDBOOKS
Then click, Care and Cleaning of Stainless Steel
This is in a PDF format and you will need to download the free Adobe
Acrobat Reader link provided.

Don't imagine there is any one product that shines 23 year old
stainless steel like new.  Especially if your DeLorean spends a
great deal outdoors.

What you're looking for is to regrain your 304 grade stainless to
brand new like appearance.

Read DML message 23795 written by President of the Pacific Northwest
DeLorean Club, Greg Linstad.

And then read the following written by someone named Lee from the
DML.

Blending Stainless
The correct item is called "Blending Hand Pad" Scotch-Brite
#7446 this pad generally cost $1.79 at any well stocked hardware
store.
If you have any problems finding it you can get information on you
local distributor from 3M Abrasive Systems Division, St. Paul, MN
55144-1000.

You should also get stainless steel cleaner.  There are two brands
generally favored by most DeLorean owners:

1. 3M Stainless Steel Cleaner & Polish #34-7032-2354-4.
Commercial Care Division. Product comes in 21 oz spray can.

Or

2. DuBois USA Super Hi-Lite Stainless Steel Cleaner & Polish.
Comes in 18 oz spray can
Customer service 1-800-543-4906

To use this stuff:

The blending pads come in 6x9 inch by half inch thick pads.  The
fibers seem very course but are correct.

You will need a blending block, made from any wood.  It should be 5
3/4" x 8 3/4" x 2".  A cut from any 2x6 is perfect.

To use start by spraying either cleaner mentioned above on to the
stainless surface and work in using an old towel or clean cloth, rub
in the same direction as the brush pattern of the panel ONLY! do not
rub cross grain or in circles.  Once you have fully covered the area
to be blended (should be wet with polish) place the blending pad
onto the stainless surface, place the block on top of the pad so
that pad extends evenly on all sides of the blending block, now
pressing against the stainless push the blending pad in the same
direction as the brush pattern, try to keep the stroke in line with
the factory brush pattern.  When you complete the first stroke
completely pick up the pad and block, DO NOT PULL THE PAD BACK THE
WAY IT CAME, AND DO NOT MOVE PAD AGAINST THE GRAIN TO START A RETURN
STROKE! Go back to your starting point place the pad on to the
surface and repeat the process.  As you work you will see a black
build up of cleaner, this is normal, continue working and adding
cleaner as you work.  I suggest no more than half a panel at a
time.  When you have completed a section, stop, wash out the
blending pad with warm soapy water then clear cool water, shake dry
and start next panel.  Use more cleaner to remove the ugly black
streaks that form during blending.  At this point you have a choice
of leaving a very thin film of cleaner on the stainless surface or
having the slightly brighter "Dry" look.  For the
"Dry' look just
wash the DeLorean and then dry it completely.  You can also
"Dry"
blend if you like by doing the blending with out the cleaner.  The
problem with this approach is that dry blending leaves a fine black
powder on the stainless that comes off on everything.  Many DeLorean
users like to use "Windex" window cleaner to keep their
DeLoreans
bright and fingerprint free.

Here is a good way of getting rid of scratches.

The correct "Scotch Brite" to use is #7446 "Blending hand
pad Product ID #61-5001-2322-1."  The pads are 6x9 inches.

The correct way to work out scratches or stains is to get a chunk of
wood 5x8 inches and use it as a backing for the Scotch Brite pad.
To "re-brush" any given area , first spray the area with
"3M Stainless Steel Cleaner & Polish" there is only one kind
so you
won't get the wrong one.  Next lay the Scotch Brite down grain,
place the wood block on top of the pad and pressing down drag the
pad threw the desired area and up grain some amount.  Now lift the
pad off the surface and go back to the starting point and repeat.
Follow the original grain.  The surface of the stainless will darken
as you work.  From time to time wipe the area clean with a clean
soft cloth.  Do not at any time rub or wipe cross grain.  Once you
start you will see the unwanted scratches start to fade, just keep
working the area until it matches the rest of the panel.  You may
want to do the whole panel, which if done correctly will take about
4 hours.

I personally have been putting off regraining my naturally stainless
steel skinned DeLorean for four years.  Will do it some day.
But now I know how.

Mark R. Vanyo
VIN 02261
Lic. OUTATYM

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "ryanpwright" <yahoo1@xxxx> wrote:

> I've always thought my car was beautiful but the stainless looks
very dull compared to the pictures on the eBay auction. Can anyone