[DML] Re: Advice and opinions for a new buyer

[DML] Re: Advice and opinions for a new buyer

This question (or similar) comes up all the time from people who
"find" a Delorean and want one. The first thing they are concerned
with are the cosmetics. They NEVER look underneath where the real
money will be spent. The Delorean venders have come up with a rough
"Rule Of Thumb". A good starting point is figureing at least $1,000
for each year that the car was not used. It will generally cost more
but you can start there. I would add that that rule is useful but
figure a minimum of $5,000. When you say the car hasn't had any of the
upgrades or work done figure you will have to do it if you want a
reliable driver. The parts are expensive enough but if you don't do
the work then you also have to decide where to have the work done.
When you have to pay for labor the costs can go up rather quickly. I
would caution against buying on E-bay, especailly if you cannot see
the car yourself, and you don't know what to look for! The seller can
say (or not say) anything to sell the car. You really should do your
homework on any car you buy including looking up it's history. Most
venders keep a record of the service work they do on each car so that
is where you should begin. E-bay doesn't give you enough time to do it
properly. Don't try to buy the cheapest car you can find, it may be
the one that winds up costing the most! I cannot help you with this
particular one on E-bay but IMHO that is not the best place to buy
your first one. Join a local group and they can help you find one that
you can be happy with. You shouldn't have to have a Delorean shipped
across the country. There are plenty all over and the $1,500 it will
cost to ship is better spent on buying a better one or the parts for
it. The hood being high in the middle is easily fixed by adjusting the
latch and is a common (minor) thing. There are other Delorean venders
in California besides Delorean One, you may even be closer to them
than D1. Call all of them and check pricing and how long their backlog
is. You may be surprised at how long it can take for them to get to
your car! Just another reason many of us try to do our own work if we
can. Alternatively they may have a car you can buy right now, jump in,
and drive it without any worries.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757

-- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "leningradmonkey"