AW: [DML] The alternator

Well there are no magnets in an alternator - at least no permanent ones.
Probably the bolts for the housing have loosened somehow and the different
parts are not lined up correctly any more. Anybody who has ever taken an
alternator apart can tell you thisis something that need to be watched
first. When you installed it - did the rotor spin freely ?

Sounds like your alternator doesn't work at all.

By the way - a friend of mine works for BOSCH and he used to work on a
project to increase the output of an alternator. Especially the big
Mercedes needed more power and instead of two alternators they wanted
to stay with one - due to costs. As far as I recall they couldn't get
more than 200A out of it without liquid cooling !

We talked about that about 2 years ago, but since then physics hasn't
changed very much. I would be very sceptical if somebody would want
to sell me an alternator with 250A. Especially one that fits the Delo
just by plug and play.

The biggest problem are the rectifier diodes which can't handle the
current without sufficient cooling. Even when replaced with active
rectifiers like MOSFETs or similar devices, there's still the problem
with the powerloss of the copper windings. If that's not enough - think
of the belt that has to transfer 3 times more power than with our 90A
alternator (of course only 3 times more when you make it to pull the
250A out of the altenator).

Altogether it sounds very unrealistic to me unless it is some kind of
irrelevant peak power that they printed on the label. Same as the
PMPO power they print on cheap speakers and amps.

Elvis & 6548

As we all know, the delorean came with the 90 amp Motorolla after the
Delco with its problems. Obviously, the 90 amp was sufficient enough
to run the fans, A/C, lights and etc. When my alternator failed me I
purchased the 250 AMP alternator, now compared to the 90 this should
have PLENTY of amps to spare...or does it? I run my car with the heat,
lights and everything cranked, but when I flick to my high beams as if
I was flashing from low to hi-under acceleration I feel my engine
buck. With the more I turn on, the less acceleration I feel my car can
do. Now also I'm having a start problem-I'll go to start my car and it
will crank forever, and won't start even with spray. My suspect is the
alternator. When I can finally turn the car over after a recharged
battery, the alternator squeels like hell and the gauge reading is
very low. The squeeling isn't the belt for sure, more like the magnets
inside the alternator. Is it possible for the alternator to somehow
have an electrical disturbance inside which will cause the ignition
system to fail? Anyone else experience this? Dani B. #5003

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/dmcnews