[DML] Slam/RPM Shifting, Part Deux

Relative to a couple of threads this spring (Messages #41013, #43300
etc) Re: slam shifting, which CAN be done with the DeLorean Renault
transmission quite nicely (I lived that way for a week during my ill
fated clutch replacement. Shift points are 2300-2500 RPM):

Having just survived an adventuresome trip to New Jersey to buy a
truck with clutch hydraulics that failed in transit:

Be very careful slam shifting on hills. Transmission speed is
determined by how fast the drive wheels are rotating (you can not vary
it, but rather match engine speed to it). On relatively flat terrain
the vehicle will coast, making a leisurely and enjoyable slam shifting
experience. On hilly terrain however the drive wheels can slow down
very quickly. The steeper the grade, the shorter the slam shift
window. If you fail to match RPM's in that abbreviated time span you
may find yourself pointed uphill at a dead stop. The starter motor
then will be unable to move the vehicle against gravity to get going
again.

Of course stopping on a steep hill at a stop sign or stop light will
render the vehicle immobile thereafter.

(I was able to make an unpowered 3 point turn downhill and restart the
truck. Very dangerous and very unrecommended.)

Slam shifting is a survival technique best left for flat or gently
sloping terrain, especially if you are navigating in unfamiliar
territory.

Bill Robertson