Re: [DML] Re: DeLorean Handling

Before my car was mysteriously run into a hotel room in Pigeon Forge, I
had another little fender bender.  Well...okay, the car was totaled,
because of the rear end weight bias...but more so because I had 10 year
old tires on it.  Here is my story:

Like you, I didn't think it was possible to spin the car out, and was
used to taking corners too fast, scaring the crap out of my passengers,
and showing off the stiff suspension.  Then, one day I was coming around
a corner a little quick, after it had rained lightly, (worst
situation...ground is wet, but still oily) the car completely let go,
and before I could do anything I was into the LH front fender of a
Mercedes E-Class station wagon.

Speed at impact was around 20 mph, and the front end was very
ugly...however, the car absorbed all the impact, and I felt almost
nothing...it was just like braking really hard.  Driver's side door got
stuck closed, so I had to jump the console and get out the passenger
side in order to make sure the other guy was okay.  (he was)  It was
awful to look at, and needless to say, I felt like a complete and utter
moron.  (hind sight was a bitch on that one)  Fast forward to two years
later, and the car is better than new.

I stripped off what was left of the fascia and front body panels, then
trailered the car to Dave Bauerle's shop.  In about a month, he had a
new fiberglass front end put on, and straightened the frame.  (for
people who have seen the engine fire car body sitting in my
driveway...this is the body my new front end came off of)  Dave's work
is incredible.  There is NO evidence that the car was ever damaged.
Then with the help of Ken Koncelik, I was able to strike a deal where if
I started parting out his bad DeLorean (whole other story), he would let
me keep what I needed for my repairs at a reasonable cost. (beginning of
parts business)

Anyway...through the help of some incredible, generous friends, I was
able to return my car to the road.  In the meantime, I found a new
hobby...and I've really enjoyed finding out what these cars are made
of!  I once restored a 65 Mustang, and couldn't drive it afterward,
because I couldn't believe how little was holding it together.  After
taking apart and rebuilding a few DeLoreans, I can say drive your car
with confidence...DeLorean may not have been the world's best business
man, but he definitely knew how to build a great car!

Moral of the story, however, is don't push the limits of any car on a
public road.  If you want to see what the car can do, take it to a
track.  Otherwise you run the risk of not only hurting or killing
yourself, but also the other people that you have to share the road
with.  Never forget that none of us can ever be so good a driver, that
we can't get better.  Some of us just start out with more ground to
cover ahead of them.  (haha)  ...And although I do need and value your
Delorean parts business, I don't need it that bad!

Take care and drive safe,
Josh
http://tinyurl.com/6dhcw