Re: [DML] Re: Symptoms of bad TA bolts

I wasn't suggesting doing it at 60mph! No, a simple slow-speed test at
less than 30 is good enough. And I strongly disagree that it means they
are seriously loose. Half a turn on the nut can mean the difference
between nasty, dangerous handling and a positive fun car to drive. I do
this for a living now too, and I've driven countrless D's with
squirrelly handling. All the ones we've subsequently recommended new
TABs have had that problem corrected as a result. I nearly crashed my D
just after I got it 3 years ago due to the back end kicking out. All
that needed was half a turn on one bolt.. It's worth noting that these
bolts don't just "come loose" - they stretch and become loose that way.
My car now has Inconel 718 bolts in it, as does a customer's car which I
changed one bolt out (had been replaced with an M10 bolt!) but the other
was siezed solid. I had to drive it to a local garage with a ramp to
enable me to get enough leverage on it to free the bolt up and replace
it. Said bolt still had all shims present and appeared tight. This
particular car had just received our performance upgrade and the drive
to the garage was an experience - losing the back end under power and
ending up facing the opposite direction - thankfully only at very slow
speeds on a wet road with nobody around. I know my own car well enough
to know that it could easily handle what I did.

I would go as far as to say that unless they've been checked or
replaced, MOST DeLoreans have loose TAB's (in my experience in the UK).
Just about every car we've had in since DMUK started up has had new
TAB's on the list of work, most often due to the owner being aware of
the problems with them, and that's in no small part thanks to Toby and
the DML

Martin