[DML] Re: The Trailing Arm Bolt Saga

I submit that if your trailing arm bolt is bent AT ALL you should
consider changing it. Under normal use it should not bend ever unless
it has been subjected to an overstress or it has fatigued to near the
point of failure. The trailing arm bolts cannot be properly inspected
visually if they are not bent. You cannot see how many stress cycles
it has been subjected to by looking at it. It is also difficult to
tell if it is bent unless you at least loosen the nut and attempt to
rotate the bolt and see if it is bent. Since you say you already have
a replacement set then the smart thing to do is just replace them and
forget about it. Cheap insurance for peace-of-mind. Knocking (or
clunking) can come from many sources. The jack and lug wrench could be
sliding around in the compartment, a body bolt can be loose, stuff in
the boot (trunk) can be shifting, a rear bearing can move, the C/V
joints may need to be cleaned and lubricated. The last item is the
most common for a clunking in the rear. Check the line pressure on the
trans. If it is too high it can cause hard shifts. Make sure the
vacuum modulater is hooked up, the vacuum line is not leaking, and the
modulater isn't stuck. Hard shifts are better than soft shifts but if
they are too hard you can overstress the mechanicals inside. Soft
shifts prematurely wear out the clutch packs. I like firm (not hard)
shifts. It shouldn't feel wishy-washy, you should definately know and
feel the shifts. From your description of the problems you have had
none seem to be too unusual.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757