[DML] The Trailing Arm Bolt Saga

I happened to see some discussion on the subject of TAB's within the
last couple of days, and I'd like to pose my own questions about them.
First And Foremost!.. when I give these examples, I'm only relaying
facts. I am not saying anything good or bad about the people involved
or the advice they gave me. Again, I'm only relaying what happened.

OK... herewego..

When the car was in Rob Grady's possession in 2002, he noted in his
file that "the rear trailing arm bolts were bent" but unfortunatly,
they were not replaced before the car was returned (previous owner's
fault, not Rob's). Well, when I got the paperwork for myself from PJ
Grady's during the "Do I wanna buy this car?" stage of the game, I
saw that and it worried me.. a lot! Since then, though, we've had so
many things go wrong with the car that we've forgotten about the
TAB's, believe it or not.  So far we've:

Fixed a hole that had corroded through the engine block.

Gotten the fuel contamination problem taken care of (all that
entails).

Had the Transmission serviced (It was shifting so hard that it
actually busted the trans. mounts, one of which was already cracked)
Still shifts somewhat hard, but half the people tell me  "Aw! It's
GOOD for it! That's the way it's supposed to be!"  then the other
half say  "Woah-ho! Kinda harsh shift! better rebuild 'er!" ..then
half the people tell me "Why replace the CPU govener? The hardness is
vaccuum controlled. The CPU only controls WHEN it shifts!" ..then
more people tell me  "Replace the CPU govener, it'll smooth out the
hard shift."

Anyway...

Had a coolant pipe repaired after the steering column actually rubbed
a hole in it somehow.

Drivers side window motor regulator replaced, the classic steering
bushing at the firewall, thermal time switch, starting coil, exhaust
leak (right side), tires, brakes & rotors, 2 batteries (in a year),
ect..

LOL! No, I'm not ragging on my car, I love her. I'm just surprised at
the stuff I've had to do. OK, anyway.. the BOLTS!:

Once it came time, I bought a set of the mid-grade ones (Not the
TOBY's but the next rung down) to have them put in. Well, when I took
it to the clinic (side note: when I say "the Clinic", I am referring
to a local shop called the Sports Car Clinic that I had never heard
of until 2 other DeLorean owners in my "area" highly reccommended
them, and with good reason) ..when I took it to them, I was hopping
up and down about these bolts...

but when they located the bolts, they were like "Uh.. there's nothing
wrong with them." ..

bear in mind.. PERFECT chance to make some money on the labor... why
should they care? ..nope.

I asked them point blank  "OK.. you're looking at the TRAILING ARM
BOLTS, correct?" ... "Yes, sir, Mark, the owner, has a good deal of
experience with the DMC, both in the early 80's when they first came
out, and through the years. The bolts are fine, sir. Your vehicle is
safe."  Baffled, I asked Rob. He seemed concerned, but sort of middle-
of-the-road about it all. He replied: "Eh.. it's your call, they may
have only been slightly bent"  which did make me feel better, as Rob
always does.

This all took place in the last months of 2003. Nowadays, the car is,
naturally, running very well, and she purrs happily at her new home.
Recently, however, I am getting a sort of a "thump" coming from about
the middle of the car when driving on very curvy roads.

Rear Wheel bearings? ... Something loose in the trunk?  ...or
Trailing arm bolts so bent that something's knocking? (hey! That was
suggested!)

Again, what do to?  The clinic checked again under the car last week.
The report? It still has very little rust (what it does have is
surface rust which I will be taking care of) and again:  "Sirrr!  The
bolts are FINE!"

I know most of you are going to say "Well, you bought 'em! just
replace them anyway!"  but I'm not entirely sure I trust anyone but
Rob to do this, and I can't send him my car right now. ..but I need
to drive her because of the history of fuel problems!

Are these noises just the body moans of a 21 year old car? Am I going
to be driving my car one day and the bolts give out and I crash and
possibly die?  ..Do some bolts just not bend depending on what has
happened in the life of the individual automobile?..

I'm so tired of bothering Rob, John Hervey, and Warren at DMC Houston
with these questions from an obvious amateur.. Can someone shine some
light for me?

Much Appreciated.

Warren and Heather
Vin# 0809