[DML] Re: Transmission/Diff adjustment

If you did not turn the wheels you might be able put the nut back in
and snug it up to where it was without tightening it and moving the
bearing shell which would change the adjustment. If you did turn the
wheels the only way to get it right is to remove the diff and do the
adjustment as per the manual. With a lot of experience it is possible
to set it up in the car by feel but I cannot recomend that you try it
that way. BTW I use a centerpunch and make a light mark that way
exactly for the reason you figured out too late, ie, when you wash the
parts you remove pencil marks, magic marker, chalk, etc. As a neat way
to do it you can centerpunch the parts and then put a drop of your
wife's (or girlfriend's) nail polish in the mark so it is easy to see.
I keep several old bottles of different color red for that use and to
use as inspection marks to see if a bolt has turned or loosened.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757