[DML] More thoughts on repowers and swaps

[DML] More thoughts on repowers and swaps

Generally, Im not for swapping out engines, especially in nice
examples of the marque. Deloreans are a very strange vehicle, I can
see hot rodding a $10g car but not a $20 g car. Chances are more
often than not that a $10g car will eventually meet the scrap heap
because the owner wanted a Delorean so badly that they bought
whatever they could afford. These cars are often neglected by
previous owners or have fallen into the wrong hands at some time or
another. So why not hot rod them? If done "right" whatever that
means it would be great to see a Delorean blow the doors off a vette
or a viper etc...On the other hand however, I wouldnt touch a
trailer queen with anything other than repair manual and a clean dry
cloth. The truth of the matter is, that a well maintaned pristine
example will always drop peoples mouths in awe over a rodded car.
   Its funny, here you have a car that pound for pound is just as
exotic as anything out there and yet costs nothing in comparison to
a ferrari or lamborghini, of course someone will buy one! and maybe
have enough money or find reason enough to try to work it over being
that it was so inexpensive in comparison and hell, afew more bucks
and its a "lambo-killer" (I use afew more bucks very loosely here)
The only downside is in my opinion, stuffing a GM engine in it. Yes
they are proven and readily available and serviceable. Sure maybe
you can have a 300 hp Delorean but you just took an exotic and made
it a kit car. It would be great to see a Alpine twin turbo engine in
there, atleast its still exotic and not too far from its roots., or
even an eagle premier engine with the sh@t worked out of it.
Unfortunately these cars are so unique and rare that the options are
kinda limited, but many would argue this is a good thing too.
  If Rob Grady could ever reproduce the legend engine or DMCH ever
make 300- 400 hp out of their engines then a whole lot of us would
be in line until then, its all about maintenance for most of us. I
love my car as do all of us, do I ever wish it was as fast as it
looks? Hell yes, I have even spent a ton of time researching mods
from France to Canada to the UK, naturally aspirated to twin turbos
but the thing that serves to scare me off is the trouble involved in
doing it right. Hopefully one of the vendors on this side of the
atlantic can come up with something other than 197hp to power the
Delorean and still maintain the root block and serviceability (no
offense to DMCH) while 197HP is substantially more than stock its
still not compelling enough for most people to take the plunge. Just
my thoughts on this.

Harry Vin #2696