[DML] Re: Lockzilla or WingsAloft???

Tom, please don't think I was knocking the Zilla products - even I wouldn't do that.  His stuff is bulletproof if a little pricey.  And actuators versus solenoids should be a no-brainer.  Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe Detroit and all of the other major manufacturers switched from solenoids to actuators for door locks many years ago for reasons of cost and reliability.  In the case of DeLorean door openers (and locks) the weight and current draw differences are additional major factors in that choice.

The whole point of my earlier statement was availability.  Only one door opener system is readily available, and has been market proven for over 15 years.

And I presume the line "If you want a door opener system now, by all means contact Toby." was not directed at me, since obviously I've been using that system already for, oh, about 17 years.  So, yes I am a little biased.

Now Robert, your statement is a little disturbing: "Aside from function, use of specificly branded products helps to further one's pride in one's own vehicle."  That sounds like an advertiser's dream - pay more for Nike because they spend millions on advertising, whether or not it's a better product.  I'm having trouble with that one.  Some of us just don't buy into that logic.  Maybe I am getting old, but I just don't think that way - I use what works best, regardless of "name branding"  But I have to agree, when I heard folks talking about all the Zilla products they had installed, my thoughts were more toward the power of advertising and image than "that's what it takes to keep these cars functioning".  They are great products if you really do need them.  But they aren't a requirement - I had 7 cars over an 18 year period without once needing any of them.

The bottom line is we should all thank our lucky stars for the choices we have as owners of an orphan car, and for the continued work of folks like Toby, Bob Z., Rob, Don, Stephen, and the rest.  It could easily have been a lot worse.
Darryl