Re: [DML] Insurance

When my car was totalled they came up with a replacement cost, which
is NEGOTIABLE by the way. They tried to offer me $13k for my car but
I ended up with $20k in the end (plus the money I got from the
ensuing lawsuit from the drunk who hit me). The insurance company
will then offer you to buy the car back for 25% of that agreed
replacement cost. So as badly damaged as my car was, I felt that was
too much.

But that's not your last chance. Your car will then go to auction.
Keep on top of your insurance company about it, or your car will get
away from you. I found out that my car went for $1800 on the auction
block... talk about sickening for me. But it's in the hands of
another owner at least, who is using it to bring his back to life.
So the lesson is be a tough negotiator and be extremely vigilant of
the process.

Louie Golden
VIN 5252 Charlotte, NC