[DML] Re: Chevy Engine swap

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Joe OBrien" <joeyoseppijoe@xxxx>
wrote:

>snip<
Just reviving them after a 20
> year slumber sometimes takes a little tweaking. <snip>
> Joe OBrien

A -little- tweaking?!?!?

Joe I totally agree with most of your statement, but for me, reviving my car
was more like re-earning my submarine warfare qualification pin. I had to read
and study for months and flood the DML with pleas for information, learn every
rivet and screw from stem-to-stern.

That said, the good feeling I get from having my engine fire on the first turn of
the key every time and the fact that I wrote my own tech article on head
gasket replacement is nice. My point is, all of the little flaws the cars had
when they came out of the factory have been ironed out by owners and
vendors over the past 20 years. New relays, electrical mods, radiators, frame
crumple extensions and fuel fixes abound to fix all of these nagging quality
issues. Horsepower has mostly been cured with DMCH's engine upgrades.
Heck, a better complete frame is available now! You can have your cake and
eat it too.

I'm no business major but if I had to post a resale value scale for modd'ed
DeLoreans it might look something like this:

Highest value: Typical condition car with Stage III engine. (Most horsepower
with a total stock look)

Middle value: Typical car that is totally stock, (Minus things like plastic coolant
bottle, OEM fan fail relay etc. ie not concours)

Worst value:  Typical car with a modified frame and 3rd party engine installed,
plus accompanying support systems.

There are exceptions to this, like Bill's carb'd PRV. It's easily returnable to
stock configuration, or even Stage III because his motor mounts aren't
permenant and PRV maintenance is relatively the same. I'm not sure what
category I'd put that car in.

Lastly, I'll throw this out there:  I'll bet if DMCH took a poll, they would find out
that many owners would jump all over a DIY engine upgrade kit that consists
of most or all of the Stage III parts. Many of us want this, but can't afford to
ship the car, plus the labor to install the upgrade. I think it's a race to see who
puts the kit on the market first: DMCH, DPNW, or SpecialT.

If all this just doesn't satisfy you, I saw a mint Lotus Esprit on Ebay yesterday.

Rich A.