RE: [DML] VIN 1913 Needs some help ...

Hmmm. I think there could be a number of things that could cause such
symptoms. Unfortunately intermittent things are usually a bear to find and
fix, and you can't just slap an OBDII reader on the car to find out what's
happening.

Intermittent timing issues?
Intermittent/poor spark?
Ignition crossfire?
Intermittent/poor fuel delivery?
Timing chain jumped a tooth or too slack?

To begin with look carefuly around your engine compartment for anything
obvious like electrical connectors that have fallen off. Next, think "tune
up" if this hasn't been done in a while just to get that out of the way of
further troubleshooting. Verify that your distruibutor cap, rotor, wires,
and plugs are all in good condition. Make sure the initial timing is at 13
degrees BTDC and does not jump around. Make sure the secondary (high
voltage) wire is making solid contact at the coil. Sometimes the rubber boot
can push itself off the tower and it naturally drags the wire with it.

Next what about your fuel delivery? The last thing you mentioned before you
experienced the problem was that you filled up. Was the gas bad?

Does your air sensor vane move freely inside the cone or is it binding or
sticking? If it sticks the car could run lean or rich, and either situation
might cause some of the driveability symptoms you mention.

How's your fuel pump and fuel pickup hose? The hose can collapse which would
make the car run lean. A lean engine could backfire and cause the pops you
heard as well as lack of power.

Flames out the tail pipe is most likely unburned fuel igniting in the
exhaust. If one or more of your cylinders is not firing properly they are
dumping a rich mixture into your exhaust manifolds where it can be ignited
by exhaust from cylinders that are firing.

You'll probably have to systematically check/correct/eliminate possible
causes until you come upon the cause or causes of this. Only actually doing
the troubleshooting will lead yiou to the answer, but I suspect fuel
delivery issues. If you have a K-Jet fuel pressure gauge, look at your fuel
pressures. (System pressure and control pressure) to make sure they are in
spec.

Have you done anything to the car recently? If so, what?

Good luck!

-Joe Kuchan