[DML] Re: Auto trans leak part 3

Dave - This is quite a long shot, but we had a perplexing (and
significant) fluid leak on our Ford Explorer.  I looked at all of
the usual suspects, and found no source for our leak.  It continued
to get progressively worse, until I could no longer tolerate it.  It
turned out that a crack had developed in the torque converter input
shaft.  The shaft is a hollow tube that runs in a lip seal on the
front (or in the case of the DeLorean, the back) of the
transmission, and is welded to the body of the torque converter.
Where the two are welded, a crack had formed and had slowly grown.
It eventually trashed the seal and the bushings that it rides in
inside the front housing.  In any event, I think that you'd be time
and money ahead by dropping the transmission out, rather than trying
to work with it in situ, either with or without the engine in place.

Toby Peterson  VIN 2248 "Winged1"
DeLorean Parts Northwest, LLC
www.delorean-parts.com

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Dave Swingle" <swingle@xxxx> wrote:
> Yes - I'm still chasing it. After another weekend of quality time
> under the car, I'm starting to think that the leak is between the
> auto trans and the differential. So - a couple of questions for
the automatic transmission rebuilders out there. > --Has anyone ever
seen this problem?
> --Is is possible to separate the transmission from the
differential IN the car? (NOT the whole trans-axle, just removing
the automatic part). I'm suspecting that the leak is where the two
join together, and if it can be separated at that point it would
maybe save some effort.