[DML] Re: Manual Shifting questions

Mike - In regards to the shifting question, I believe that you will
have to adjust the shift cable.  Changing the length of the cable
slightly moves the entire shift pattern back and forth laterally.
The procedure can be found in the DMC shop manual on page F:07:01.
Based on what I read there, you'll need to lengthen the cable
slightly to move the shift lever stop pin to the left.  You should
evaluate which direction that you need to adjust it based on the
measurements and pin positions found in the manual.

The frequency valve probably isn't the source of the high idle.  I'd
have a look at the idle speed motor, which can get gunked up inside
and stick.  Many people have taken theirs apart and cleaned it up to
make it work better, or you can simply replace it.  Of course, with
these cute little silver cars, there are typically four or five
possible sources for every symptom.  Most times, when the frequency
valve fails, you can tell because it stops buzzing like an angry
hornet.  I may be wrong in this, but I think that the car simply
defaults to a rich condition when this valve quits working.

Toby Peterson  VIN 2248 "Winged1"
DeLorean Parts Northwest, LLC
www.delorean-parts.com

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Mike Polzin" <MPolzin@xxxx> wrote:
> 1) The car shifts nicely through 1, 2, 3, 4 gears, but I can't get
it into fifth. I I have a sneaky suspicion that there is something
goofy with the shifter mechanism because when I push ot over to go
into fifth the shifter is up against the top of the console and
can't go any farther to the right... >
> 2) Is there a way to test the frequency valve to see if it is
working? The car idles around 2000 rpms. The screws on the intake
are snugged down (they were not when I bought the car), and I tried
adjusting the idle screw with no luck. She still idles high. I have
pulled out the computer behind the drivers seat and swapped it with
a known good one. When I unplug the frequency value while the car is
running, there is absoloutely no difference in how it runs. I could
not find any obvious vaccuum leaks.