Re: [DML] Re: Vapor Lock --> A deflector shield

Nick Kemp wrote:

>Related thought ...
>
>Years ago, someone made a deflector that directed the warm radiator air down
>and away from the tank.  It may be worth considering.  The downside of that
>kit is that it used sheet metal screws to anchor to the frame and I am
>FIRMLY opposed to breaking the frame seal.
>
>The deflector was a heavy ?1/2 inch? rubber mat.  There are probably better
>materials and anchoring alternatives.

I have this deflector shield your talking about.  It's main purpose was
to keep the fuel temp lower to prevent fuel cavitation.  Fuel cavitation
is, where under vacuum (suction) the fuel would bubble, and the fuel
pump would growl.  The deflector shield solved this problem.  Mine is
held on with clips, no screws or bolts.  Simple install.  It appears to
be approx. 3/16" reinforced neoprene rubber.  The only down side IMHO,
is it slightly restricted air flow by causing higher back pressure
(without the fans running), where the rushing air going through would
slam up on the deflector shield and bounce back to create higher back
pressure.  No problem with the new 3 core radiators now available.

Paul