From: tobyp@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:tobyp@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Monday, September 13, 2004 6:33 PM
To: dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [DML] Re: Vapor Lock

Hello List - I had a conversation with a DeLorean owner who had
driven his car to Pigeon Forge.  On the trip, he had a number of
suction hose issues down in the tank, and actually had
the "opportunity" to do a little DeLorean "tank diving" alongside the
interstate.  He told me that the fuel was so hot in the tank that he
felt like it was burning his skin.  Between the hot air blowing on
the tank from the radiator, and the fuel being returned to the tank
from the engine compartment as part of the recirculation that goes on
continuously in the DeLorean, the fuel was heated to a significant
degree (pun intended).  Here's the question for the List - Would this
phenomenon have any bearing on the discussions about fuel vapor
lock?  I know that the book that I have on Bosch fuel injection
systems says that tank shape is critical for the K-Jetronic system
that we have.  According to the book, the tank must be oriented
vertically and should be relatively deep so that there can be good
intermix of hot and cool fuel within the tank, in order to avoid
temperature stratification. Consider the shape and orientation of the
DeLorean fuel tank ...

Toby Peterson VIN 2248 "Winged1"
DeLorean Parts Northwest, LLC
www.delorean-parts.com

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "content22207" <brobertson@xxxx>
wrote:
> Isn't vapor lock a suction problem, not a pressure problem (liquid
> turning to gas due to lowered evaporation point)? If so, the only
> place it could possibly happen on a DeLo is inside the tank, which
is highly unlikely given the cooling effect of all that fuel.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/dmcnews