Re: [DML] Digest Number 2212-Sitting around

Re: [DML] Digest Number 2212-Sitting around

Hi List,

Even though I don't own a Delorean yet, I am still here reading all of the
wisdom out here on this list! :) Someday!

In this digest, someone was thinking about this D with 11,000 miles.   Well,
this is something that I can sort of relate to.  Last winter I purchased   a
87 300zx.   You may not remember me, but I am the crazy Zchickz that love these
and other cool 80s cars.   Hence the on going love for the D. I have/had many
of these cool cars.   But currently my collection is Zs, Impulses, Conquests.

But I digress, this particular 87 was bought at a charity sale and only had
90k on him.   Going by the inspection sticker, he sat for about 3 years or so.
 I did call the previous owner and she told me that it was her son's and
something aweful happened but the car sat in the garage until they could part with
it.   All tires were close to flat, and there were some notes on the
windshield for the yard guys "NO CLUTCH, WON'T START".    Well, being a Zchick I
noticed right away just how STOCK this car was and by taking a quick mental tally
of the parts in the garage, I figured what the hell! $400!!!!   I have a few
rebuilt engines, trans, plenty of parts and cars so why not?

The NO CLUTCH was easy...   Bleeding the slave cylinder got me 10k down the
road.   New battery and stabil in the system helped with the starting... And a
tune up/oil change/high test gas helped with the running.   Now, it is 22k
miles down the road and so far I have replaced alot of the hydraulic stuff like,
4 calipers, (new pads while I was there) brake lines, clutch slave & master,
brake master cylinder, orings for the resevior (new fluid while I was there).
New tires. I also flushed the rad, and changed the oil at first every 500
miles for a few times, 2500 ever since to make sure that there wasn't anything
floating around.   The windows are slow going up so I goo'd those and the
plastic bits on the window tracks are broken to bits so I ordered new ones of those
from Courtesy Nissan.   No rear sway bar bushings!   The rear taillights were
leaking really bad where the black goo wasn't goo'y any more and dried up to
let water in.   Basically everything rubber or plastic is brittle and dried
out.
 I did alot of the work myself which saved on $$ but I know that he is going
to need his 60k soon and I am almost dreading that!   I am really bad at
'while I am there let's do this___' in the attempt to catch and kill the gremlins
before they give me a headache.

So my theory is that if you have the time, a big bottle of ADVIL, and the
money doesn't worry you, then try to get the car cheaper.   You WILL HAVE TO PUT
SOME SILLY MONEY INTO THIS D TO GET HER ROAD READY AND DE-GREMLINED.   It may
take 10k to recognize the gremlins.   So be prepared.

FWIW,

Zya!
Anna

Owner~DesignQuest Auto Enhancing