Re: [DML] Re:Fascia paint

I liked the DAU personally.  It was a one coat system and did a great  job.
The base coat clear coat on a bumper is a lot of work compared to  that.

Paint is where it is at because of emmissions control for airborn  pollutants.

The DAU was not as full of solids.  It is now banned.
The new paints have a lot of solids thus they dont gloss and you need a
clearcoat.
Clearcoat glosses so you need a gloss inhibitor or sand to gloss  level.

I painted at least 25 facias in the last year and these paints do cover a
bit better because they do go on thicker but for me I did like some of the older
 acrylics and in particular the DAU series.

The K36 primers can cover scratches and pits up to 80 grit. Takes 4  coats
but it does it and with no bondo blead thru so that is an  improvment.

The DBU is the best of the two part systems from PPG although I have used
and do like the Akkso Reliant (sp).  The PPG  Delstar Clear is still  the best
in my opinion although it does not work well with some 2 part  systems.  It has
a great wetting action that leaves a good gloss.

I hate DBC because you cannot go and touch it back up.  It is a  solvent base
and like laquer will disolve if you hit it to repair after about 4  hours. It
has to cure before you can fix it and that can take a day or so.

It does however give a nice finish and dries more like laquer as far as
speed but there are too many negatives if the painting conditions are not  perfect.

Colors have improved and are closer to stainless but my personal opinion is
that is it still too far off and looks funny.

Sorry for the paint lesson but I get a lot of questions and most are from
people that have never painted before but want to.

Ken