Re: [DML] Help! Evaporator removal

Jeff,

Evaporator removal is probably one of the most involved projects you can
do on a DeLorean.  I've been parting these damaged cars out that I have
over here for about a year now, and of the four I have down to the bare
fiberglass bodies...two still have the evaporator/heater core box in
them because they are such a pain to get out.

It does basically involve removing the center console, passenger
kneepad, glovebox and just about everything else in that area.  Once you
have all that out, you have to disconnect the pipes on the front, by
either getting in the passenger side front wheel well, or by removing
the fuel tank access panel under the spare tire, and most often you have
to go at it from both sides.  Since they are aluminum fittings, they are
almost always seized, and just generally a pain in the butt to get off.

The problem with trying to remove just the bottom portion of the box, is
that there are not only screws that go all along the lip in the middle,
(all the way around, including around back against the cowl) but also
some screws that hold the evaporator box to the heater core box.  Not a
fun job.  After discovering the dreaded antifreeze residue on my
windshield from the heater core leaking earlier this year, I've just
about decided to take my car into a shop to have this fixed.  I hate
that job!

-Josh
VIN 5102
VIN 15964