[DML] Re: Vac. Solonoid & idle (Louie Golden)

[DML] Re: Vac. Solonoid & idle (Louie Golden)

I'm actually not running on manual idle right now. I've decided with cooler weather around the corner I need to try and hunt down my idle problems as the car is a bear to start and keep running when the weather is cold with manual idle. You had the luxury of an auxilliary air valve on your car which I don't have. I've really gotten my idle improved though. Something which made the biggest difference was bending the throttle arm so that it contacts the microswitch in the dead center. It wasn't always tripping the microswitch before as it was off center. I've also played around with that wonderful little throttle link which is between the throttle arm and throttle spool. I've messed with it until there isn't any play in the system any more which could cause either the throttle plates to be slightly cracked, or to not trip the microswitch. I unplugged my vacuum solonoid a while back and the rpms dropped from 1500 down to 750. So I figured I must have a faulty solonoid. The new solonoid helps with the idle (and with acceleration!), but it hasn't completely cured my problem. The car hunts ever so slightly (we're talking no more than 100 rpms) but it's there. So coupled with the A/C knocking down the rpms I'm thinking I've got a vacuum leak somewhere. But I also had a thought: I remember the fuel curves for the 038 CPR were different than the 066. Is it possible it's feeding the engine more gas when the car warms up, and is causing the higher idle? It's literally like a switch flipping... the car when cold will idle just beautifully at 750, but then jumps up to about 1100.

Anyways, how's life on your end? Are the Lincolns occupying all your time, or have you played any more with your DeLo? Once you get it jetted right it should be an absolute hoot to drive. I've got people asking me all the time about your exhaust BTW. You could make up a kit yourself and go into business! :-) Well, I'm at work so I guess I should go. We do need to get together sometime soon though, you really need to meet Jeff from Concord. I think you two would really enjoy each other. Plus I hardly ever see you anymore. Well, that's all for now. -Louie

--- "content22207" <brobertson@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Last I saw your engine you were setting idle speed manually by
cracking the throttle plates. Unless you've reactivated CIS, you're in
control of idle speed. Is set high to accomodate the A/C compressor
load. When fall comes you can dial it back full time until next summer.

Are you still running that Series 038 CPR? If so, don't try to route
its vacuum enrichment like a Series 066 (factory). Should be connected
directly to full manifold vacuum at all times, with no delay valve or
thermal switch.

In fact: if you're going to continue to use that CPR I'd recommend
jetisoning remaining vacuum hoses in lieu of vacuum advance taken from
the ported line from under the throttle plates. You'd only have two
engine vacuum lines then:
1) directly from the manifold to the CPR
2) directly from the ported nipple to the distributor
Thermal vacuum switch would be unused under the intake (plug its
former takeoff on the driver intake rail with a 3/16" vacuum cap).

I seem to remember your CPR Tee'd from the vacuum canister purge line.
The smaller line next to it is the ported purge signal. Simply insert
a 3/16" Tee in it and run a hose to the distributor.

Note that you may need to switch to idling from the brass manifold
screws rather than cracking the throttle plates (cracking them is what
opens that ported nipple).

Mode switch will hiss as it routes vacuum internally between different
positions. You're only in trouble if it hisses while stationary in the
same position.

Contact me off List (brobertson(at)carolina.net) if you'd like to
arrange a vacuum hose tech session.

Bill Robertson