[DML] Re: Low Brake Fluid Indicator: was Low fuel warning indicator

[DML] Re: Low Brake Fluid Indicator: was Low fuel warning indicator

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty@xxxx>
wrote:
> ... If the P.O. did this (or his mechanic) you
> should be suspicous of ALL the work done on the car.
> Whoever did this
> was reckless and had no regard for the safety of the driver of that
> car. By disconnecting that plug you would have no warning if there
> was a serious malfunction in the brake system. ...

I agree completely. That is one of the reasons I am going through
this car so thoroughly to correct things of this nature.

I have receipts where the P.O. bought new calipers and brake pads in
March '03. When I first got the car, I looked over the brake system
and everything does look to be in order. The brake lines appear to
be factory, so I had planned on replacing those this winter with SS
braided overwrapped lines and to flush the brake and clutch system.

When I got home last night I searched for the "missing" connector.
Sure enough, I found it very nicely wire-tied to the harness above
the crumple tube. Judging by the amount of crud inside the
connector, it had been tied up there for a very long time.

I cleaned out the connector, then jumpered across it to see what
happened - my brake warning indicator came on.

Next I cleaned the contacts on the brake fluid reservoir's
connector, plugged in the "missing" connector, and retested.
Everything works as it should! BTW, the brake fluid looked very good
and I don't think I need to change my plans about flushing the
system before I replace the brake lines.

Next came the low fuel warning light tests...
I slowly raised the fuel sender until it cleared the gasoline. No
low fuel warning light.

Next I unplugged the sender's electrical connector, jumpered across
the correct terminals, and the low fuel light came on.

A bit stumped, I decided to take out the fuel sender and see if
there was anything I could do to it. When it cleared the tank, I
noticed that gas was still dripping slowly from the bottom. I held
it there until all the gas stopped dripping (a couple minutes).

At that point, I reconnected the plugs and I had a low fuel warning
light! Previously, I just had not allowed enough time for the sender
to drain.

I should be good to go now on both the brake warning and low fuel
warning lights. Thanks again for your advice.

-Brian
VIN# 4494