Re: [DML] Re: Charging Problem.......Help :)

Re: [DML] Re: Charging Problem.......Help :)

Hi Ray........The trickle charger I use has an automatic shut-down when the battery is fully charged. It then pulses on/off as current is used. It's a 1.5 amp unit.
If I understand the rest of your question my car doesn't have a cut off so, yes it is safe (IMO). The battery is still the source for power.

Chris

bbbigray <bbbigray@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Thanks Dave.
>
> Liked the idea about the hot tap with the inline fuse--it'll save me
> when I've got to leave the car at the airport for a week or more and
> I can't plug in. (Gated/patrolled parking off-premises with a
> section where all the motorheads park. Definitely not your average
> Pay 'N' Park.)
>
> However, I've been looking into an on-board charger setup similar to
> the one Chris Shepherd described, for times when 110v AC is
> available. In the event charging is necessary, is trickle-charging
> safe with the battery fully connected? (--the cutout switch "ON?")
> Conversely, must I disconnect the hot tap to the stereo when using a
> charger?
>
> Secondly, can I safely operate systems like the stereo, engine off,
> using a charger (of sufficient output) as a power source, or must I
> use a dedicated source routed directly to the systems involved?
>
> Please forgive me if these sound like the same questions twice, but
> for my own edification and the benefit of the community, I want to be
> sure I understand what you're suggesting. I'd rather not drive a
> stainless steel toaster.
>
> --Ray
> 10693 and Counting.

[long quote trimmed by moderator]