[DML] Re: Charging Problem.......Help :)

[DML] Re: Charging Problem.......Help :)

Thanks Dave.

Liked the idea about the hot tap with the inline fuse--it'll save me
when I've got to leave the car at the airport for a week or more and
I can't plug in.  (Gated/patrolled parking off-premises with a
section where all the motorheads park.  Definitely not your average
Pay 'N' Park.)

However, I've been looking into an on-board charger setup similar to
the one Chris Shepherd described, for times when 110v AC is
available.  In the event charging is necessary, is trickle-charging
safe with the battery fully connected? (--the cutout switch "ON?")
Conversely, must I disconnect the hot tap to the stereo when using a
charger?

Secondly, can I safely operate systems like the stereo, engine off,
using a charger (of sufficient output) as a power source, or must I
use a dedicated source routed directly to the systems involved?

Please forgive me if these sound like the same questions twice, but
for my own edification and the benefit of the community, I want to be
sure I understand what you're suggesting.  I'd rather not drive a
stainless steel toaster.

--Ray
10693 and Counting.

     --- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "David Teitelbaum"
<jtrealty@xxxx> wrote:
> Here is how I installed a master switch AND don't lose my presets.
Run a wire from the + terminal of the battery to an inline fuse...

<snip>

... A discharged battery can also freeze which is DEATH to a
> battery.
> David Teitelbaum
> vin 10757

> --- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "bbbigray" <bbbigray@xxxx> wrote:
> > Hi list. Interesting issue, as our cars tend to eat batteries
when parked for a while...

<snip>