[DML] Re: Charging Problem.......Help :)

[DML] Re: Charging Problem.......Help :)

I do not recomend a permanently installed trickle charger. It will
impress a very low A/C voltage on the car's electrical system. This
will cause electrolytic corrosion in the cooling system, the coolant
will act as an electrolyte between the dissimilar metals, aluminum,
steel, and brass. If you want to use a trickle charger my advice is to
use it for 1 day, once a month. I have seen trickle chargers dry out
the batteries in some cars. There is no way to replenish the
electrolye on the new  batteries. On the older type where you can add
water I have seen the need to add water when a trickle charger was
used. They do not appear to be as automatic as they would have you
believe. When you say trickle charger I assume you really mean the
newer computerized "float" chargers like the Battery Tender. Even with
a battery switch a battery will lose it's charge slowly over time.
That is why it really is better for a battery to be in a car that is
used regularly. The battery is always kept charged up fully. For a car
that is being stored the "best" thing to do is to remove the battery
anyway.
 On the subject of fuel stabilizers, I don't like them either. The
volitiles still come off eventually. The fuel becomes "dead" even
though it doesn't become sludge. It can become impossible to start the
car on the old, "stabilized" gas. If the car is to be stored for any
length of time the "best" advice is to drain the fuel. I have seen too
many cars that were put away for a couple of months (like over a
winter) only to be "rediscovered" 20 years later with a rotten fuel
system. The old advice of having the fuel tank left full to reduce
condensation only means there will be that much more sludge in the
tank when all the volitiles have evaporated off. It is also that much
more of a fire hazard. Modern gasoline does not store well for long
periods. The additives that make it work break down or evaporate
quickly leaving the gas smelling "dead".
 Remember too that if you ARE storing the car for a long time the
anti-freeze will be come acidic eventually and the brake fluid will
absorb moisture which will corrode the insides of the brake system and
the clutch system. The bottom line is that cars do not store well for
extended periods of time unless the proper preparations are done.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Chris Shepherd <chrisau79@xxxx> wrote:
> A permanently installed trickle charger is a whole lot simpler and
will keep the battery fully charged at all times.