[DML] Re: Door Dings Due To Upgraded Window Motors

[DML] Re: Door Dings Due To Upgraded Window Motors

I just noticed this thread regarding the installation of the new
upgraded window motors.  Apparently, some people are seeing some
damage caused by preloading in the installation, along with poor
performance of the motors.  The window motor that I installed in
Winged1 is performing flawlessly and quietly.  What I noticed during
the installation is that there are two "attachment links" or
brackets, but it is not possible to use both of them without
stressing and straining the assembly.  I simply used only one of the
links, and attached it to the most conveniently located bolt.  I
discarded the other link as unnecessary.  The load reactions for
moving the window up and down are taken care of by the attachment to
the grab handle bracket that is part way up the track.  The link
merely supports the weight of the motor.  I have no contact with the
external skin of the door, and no rattles or banging.  I would
suggest modifying your installations to be similar to mine, and then
reporting back as to whether there was an improvement or not.  As
far as resolving any existing outward dings in the door skin, I
would recommend somebody like Dent Wizard to fix it, or use similar
techniques.  Planing the ding off with a hacksaw gives me the creeps.

Toby Peterson
DeLorean Parts Northwest, LLC
www.delorean-parts.com

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft@xxxx>
wrote:
> I had the same problem however I did catch it before both doors
were dented. I haven't tried to remove the dent yet so I'm watching
your thread for suggestions.

> The new window motors are NOT plug-and-play, contrary to the
> instructions. If you want a smooth properly functioning window you
> are in for some tedious work. What frustrated me is, with proper
> instructions and information, the job could have been a 2 hour
deal instead of a 12 hour deal.