RE: [DML] Need to extract a broken bolt.

RE: [DML] Need to extract a broken bolt.

Since extractors are so hard you can forget about drilling them out. Its
best to NOT use extractors at all, unless everything else has been tried and
failed. Extractors, being so hard. are also very brittle and they very often
break.

Two options possible options:

1. Arc weld something to the end of the stud. Then *pulse* the welder
repeatedly to heat the oxides/gunk that is binding it to the piece its stuck
in. This can burn away the bad stuff and loosen the bolt. (Disconnect
eletronics in the vehicle before you do this to reduce the possibility of
frying something.)

2. Some machine shops have electric spark discharge disintegrators that can
literally "eat" a broken stud right out of a hole.

Also, talk to your closest engine rebuilding shop. They deal with this kind
of problem frequently and may be your best local resource.

-Joe