[DML] Re: Slave Cylinder-What's the best way to tackle this?

[DML] Re: Slave Cylinder-What's the best way to tackle this?

Mike - Any way you look at it, it ain't pretty.   That said, there
are several ways to skin this particular cat.  One way is to detach
the fuel injection distributor from its moorings on the intake
manifold, and prop it up and to the side.  Along with this, removing
the engine cover can help out quite a bit.  The distributor move is
best done by also removing the "throttle body" connection, and the
air runners that attach to the intake at the rear.  Then, you lay
some heavy padding on the engine, crawl up, and sprawl out on top of
the engine.  This allows you to get access from the top.  This
method allows decent slave cylinder bleeding as well, after you
install the new one (if you don't have gravity bleeding like I do).
Be sure to put blankets on the fascia, and anywhere else that you're
concerned with damaging.

The other method is to crawl up from below.  Most of this is done by
feel, and removing the heater hoses back there is usually required.
This allows you to swim in coolant for the remainder of the job
(yummy).  Remember that the pipe that attaches to the slave has an
adapter fitting and a compression nut.  Never turn the adapter in
the slave cylinder threads.  Always turn the compression nut while
holding the adapter fitting with another wrench.

After installation, complete flush of the clutch hydraulic fluid,
and then a thorough and complete bleed job is critical for long term
success.  Try not to swear too much while you do this job ;-)

Toby Peterson  VIN 2248 "Winged1"
DeLorean Parts Northwest, LLC
www.delorean-parts.com

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Michael & Denise" <luckeys71@xxxx>
wrote:
> Hi gang,
> I'm trying to replace the slave cylinder on my car and I can't for
the life of me figure out how to get to it.