Re: [DML] need towing advice

U-haul is pretty flaky now adays about renting out any equipment, and
thier people are just as bad. I rented a trailer from them in
December, and the guy who hooked my trailer up wraped the safety
chains around the toungue to pick up the slack in them. And then
hooked them to the small tow hooks, rather than the reinforced steel
bar meant for the chains. Went back a month and a half later to rent
another trailer, and they refused to lease me one. Why? I had a Ford
Explorer, and it's on their banned list of vehicles now. Plus, I
believe that here on the list, someone once mentioned the U-Haul will
ask you what kind of vechile that you're going to tow, and DeLorean is
not on their acceptable list of vehicles that their trailers can
carry.

If you're going to tow a big item such as a car, you'll need a truck.
Aside from engine power, you've got to worry about tearing up the
transmission, and tweaking a much weaker unibody chassis on a
passenger car.

Penski rents trailers out, but they only rent with their own trucks
(which if you don't already have one, this is ok). Otherwise, if
you're just looking for a tow dolly, and you plan on using it more
than once, check you local paper. I'll bet you'll find someone selling
one in decent condition for a few hundred or so. Cheaper if you need
to do any work to it, like paint it, rewire it, or repack the bearings
(simple stuff).

-Robert
vin 6585 "X"

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Ed Garbade" <edgarbade@xxxx> wrote:
> U-haul has rules for towing restrictions (which vehicle can tow how
much).
> Suggest you contact them.  For instance my Van, according to the
> manufacturer, is rated to tow 5000 pounds if I use a stabilizer;
however,
> U-haul would not rent me a car carrier because they require 5000
pounds
> capacity w/o stabilizer.  (According to the counter help I had,
U-haul's