From: cruznmd [mailto:racuti1@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Monday, August 02, 2004 7:51 AM
To: dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [DML] Ignition breakdown

Symptoms:

Car stutters upon take off from a dead-stop, but smooths out once
RPM's build up.

Ballast resistor resistance increases as it gets hot, from .5/.5
to .8/.9 ohms.

Input voltage to the coil is around 7 volts. (A bit low, I think)

I checked the timing, which was around 9 degrees. Once set at 13,
performance improved somewhat. The timing -appears- to advance
properly. The manual gives 2 tables; one for vacuum advance and one
for centrifugal advance. Advance appears correct for each method. I
noted 3 steps up for vacuum, and with my timing light I verified
them, and then I disconnected the vacuum line and checked centrifugal
advance the same way. (Revving engine and noting advance vs. the
manual information)

Cap, plugs, rotor, wires are new. The coil is the 23 year old,
original blue Bosch coil. Here's the kicker: I have a NEW Bosch coil,
and the car runs WORSE when I install it. Resistances across both
coils measure correctly.

I'll replace the ballast resistor, but what other parts could be the
cause? It almost seems as if the timing advance "sticks" and then
catches up, but I've checked that. I know that people usually frown
upon blaming the ECU's but I'm starting to wonder.

Thanks,

Rich A.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/dmcnews